Hair Loss After 8 Months on Finasteride 1mg at Age 23

I’m 23 and started finasteride 1mg in early September last year. The shedding stopped within about two months, and even without minoxidil, my hair became noticeably fuller and denser for a while. But since June this year, I’ve noticed clear recession at the forehead and an overall drop in density. Now, nearly a year in, my hair looks worse than it did before I started treatment, much thinner, with all the earlier density gone. It’s not obvious to others because I keep my hair short and don’t style it, but anyone running their hands through it would notice.

Something else worth mentioning: I’ve been dealing with disordered eating, generally doing intermittent fasting with small portions (I was obese as a teenager). When I started fin, I was around 60kg or a bit more from diet control. Now, I suspect I’m closer to 40kg. People often mistake me for a teenager. I know this isn’t healthy and I’m working on it.

So I’m trying to figure out what’s driving the hair loss: could the weight loss be a factor? Is this just the shed some fin users experience around the 8–9 month mark? Or should I be adding minoxidil or switching to dutasteride?

You will have many shedding phases during the first 2 years. How tall are you ? 40 kg is very low, this could be fucking hair bad but at least it’s not permanent. Don’t switch treatment for now, fix your weight and then re evaluate, so at least 6 months after fixing your weight

I’m 20 years old now. I started taking 1 mg of finasteride in June 2025, and after about two months, I noticed that my hair shedding had stopped. Around March/April 2026, I reached my highest peak in density and overall growth, which was around months 9-10.

However, in May, June, and July, I don’t know what happened, but my hair suddenly started shedding like crazy. I ended up looking worse than when I first started treatment. I kept taking finasteride because I couldn’t bring myself to stop.

Now, my hair has started to regain some of what I lost, but I can still see the damage that was done during those months.