Building Follicle: what would make IPD-based hairline tracking useful to you?

I’m Zach, the creator of Follicle, a hairline tracking app in development. I’d like feedback from people who actually keep progress photos.

Follicle combines photo alignment with calculations of recession relative to interpupillary distance (IPD), the distance between pupil centers. The idea is to compare a hairline measurement against a facial reference instead of comparing differently sized pictures by eye.

That reference alone does not solve changes in head tilt, lighting, hairstyle, or where the hairline is detected. I read the earlier app discussion here and the warning about photo conditions affecting scores. Testing and refinement are still needed; I am not claiming clinically validated accuracy, diagnosis, or treatment.

For your own progress tracking:

  • What is hardest to keep consistent between photos?
  • Would an aligned photo comparison plus a relative measurement be useful, or would you mainly want the photos?
  • What repeatability evidence would you need before trusting a small change? For example, several captures in the same session should not suggest different amounts of recession.

For context, the demonstration and development plans are on my Kickstarter page. Disclosure: it is my fundraiser for an unfinished app, not an available download:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/941572528/follicle-the-hairline-tracking-app-0

Criticism of the measurement approach is welcome; no need to share personal photos or medical details.